Allegany County, NY, residents can help keep drugs out of the hands of abusers, children and public water supplies this month.
The Allegany County Sheriff’s Office NY is hosting its biannual Prescription Drug Take Back Day from 10AM to 2PM Saturday, October 29, at the Angelica Fire and Rescue Station, 85 West Main Street, and Cuba Fire Department, 51 East Main Street.
The intent is to keep the drugs out of the hands of unauthorized individuals who often take them from home drawers and medicine chests, children who can swallow and overdose if they happen to discover them unattended, and public water supplies through flushing of unused prescription drugs.
Individuals and organizations can become advocates for this initiative by letting others know about the national searchable database for event locations at https://bit.ly/3lEZE1B.
– Wellsville: Jones Memorial Hospital, 191 North Main Street, and the Wellsville N.Y. Police Department, 46 South Main Street.In addition to the Take Back Days, 12 Pill Drop Boxes are located in various parts of the county year-around, including
– Alfred: Alfred Pharmacy, 36 North Main Street, and NYS University Police at Alfred State College, 10 Upper College Drive
in the Theta Gamma House.
– Andover: Jones Memorial Hospital Medical Practice, 20 Main Street.
– Belmont: Allegany County Sheriff’s Office NY, 4884 State Route 19-South, and NicholsonPharmacy Gift, 36 Schuyler Street (State Route 19)
– Bolivar: Jones Memorial Hospital Medical Practice, 120 1st Street.
– Canaseraga: Tri-County Family Medicine, 12 North Church Street.
– Cuba: Cuba Police Department, 15 Water Street.
– Fillmore: Fillmore Pharmacy, 10560 State Route 19-South.
– Friendship: Friendship Pharmacy, 9 West Main Street.
– Wellsville: Jones Memorial Hospital, 191 North Main Street, and the Wellsville Police Department, 46 South Main Street.
Allegany also is one of only two counties in the state for disposal of sharps needles at refuse disposal sites, with drop boxes for those at the Alfred, Bellmont, Bolivar, Caneadea, Canaseraga, Cuba/Friendship, and Wellsville landfill transfer locations.
Used sharps should be placed in a sealable container, with the entire container dropped into the sharps drop box at the transfer station. They should not be placed in the community pill drop boxes.
An incomplete state Department of Environmental Conservation map of pill drop boxes in the state is available at https://on.ny.gov/2Rib1ku. A similar map for Pennsylvania is available at https://bit.ly/3a5aCbE.
– – – – – – – – – –
Building Healthy Communities Through Healthy FamiliesTM is our focus at Allegany Hope and Allegany Hope Community News, including public health and safety.
This focus includes encouraging individuals and families to help one another by joining in our free community Information Ambassador initiative.
Volunteer Ambassadors assist in spreading the word about various areas of need which you, yourself, may have identified and have a passion for as it relates to greater community awareness, education and action that lead to positive impact in all areas of everyday life.
Also, see more stories, including our Community Calendar of primarily free activities of what is happening in Allegany County and beyond, by perusing this new Allegany Hope website.
Facebook only brings a small portion of information to individual News Feeds, based on algorithms it solely determines. Therefore, you may miss items that are the most important to you without reviewing our Facebook page and website on some type of schedule.
“Like” and “Share” our main Allegany Hope Facebook page, along with information from these posts, to help inform your friends and loved ones. If you have possible story information you would like to make us aware of, please contact us.